Saturday, June 11, 2011

One of life's great truths: Women often say one thing but mean another. Here's your translator.

Image
Read between her lines...
"I'm between relationships."

"I'm interested, but I haven't made up my mind." She's put up a wall with an open window, says Eve Marx, author of Flirtspeak.

Your play: Ask her -- and her gal pals -- to a BBQ. Winning over her friends will bump her off the fence and into your arms.

"I've been dying to see that movie."

"Ask me out." Any unsolicited desire she expresses about a movie or a new restaurant is often an invitation to ask her out, says Narissra Carter, Ph.D., a communications professor at Texas Tech University.

Your play: "Me, too! Want to go?" Then brandish your PDA and set the date.

"I have a boyfriend, but he lives in Rome."

"I'm taken, but I might consider a change." Her qualifier turns a typical brush-off into a possibility, Marx says.

Your play: Ask her to help you shop for a tie. She'll fill a void in her relationship by helping out with an errand. She may miss the mundane intimacy more than she misses Rome boy, and you'll be on deck.

No comments: